Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Watch for it Wednesdays!! #7

One of the great things about Quickutz dies is that they are so well designed and allow for so much personal creativity and experimentation when assembling the different shapes together. However, occasionally, some shapes may seem a little harder to piece together than others. So here are a few tips to help make assembling your die cuts quick and easy! For my example, I have used the Anime Monkey from the March Release, but you could apply these tips to just about any of the dies.

First, make all the cuts you will need to assemble your shape and gather all the pieces together.

Next, start with the body of the monkey and place it directly on the card that came inside the Quickutz packaging so that it lays right on top. (If you no longer have your original packaging, you can always download the image and print it out from the Quickutz site.)

Now you can place some glue right at the top of the body where the nose/mouth piece will lay.
Next, lift up the body and place the head piece down over the picture and add glue to the bottom of the head piece so you could place the body right back over the head piece.

Here is another trick I use when you need to attach pieces that don't have a back. I simply place a little piece of scotch tape across the opening of the ears. Now you can easily place the inside pieces of the ears into the openings. This tip is also helpful when you are assembling a die cut like this one that you want to be able to lift of the page or card with a pop dot.

Now you can easily continue assembling the rest of the die cut :)

Be sure to check out the new April Quickutz release in the store and don't forget to leave a comment here to be entered into the drawing for a free die of your choice from the new release (excludes the alpha).

7 comments:

Rochelle said...

These are super tips, Ruth Ellen! The tape trick is a real necessitity at times! Thanks for the great ideas! :O)

Deborah said...

Thanks for the tip on using the QK card to place the pieces on. I have also used splits on small pieces like the ears. When I'm ready to stick it down I just pull the back off the split. Same as the scotch tape trick.

Donutfryer said...

I never thought of the tape trick! Thanks for the wonderful trick! I shall use the the picture of the die cut also!

Stephanie said...

What a great tip on using the QK card as a guide! I've saved mine so that I would have a guide to look at but I hadn't thought to place cut pieces on top of it.

lifesabeach32940 said...

Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!! What a WONDERFUL tutorial!! So, tape is the secret?! Who would have thought?? :)

I really do appreciate the step by step, illustrated instructions ... and you sold me on the monkey. I'm adding him to my wish list. Actually, my visits to this blog have convinced me to buy several dies that I was not originally planning to.

You guys are AWESOME!!



Judy

Natasha said...

GREAT tips Ruth Ellen - You are a STAR. THANK YOU:-)

Beverly S. said...

Great tip! Thanks for the GREAT
tutorial.